10 MIN VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE
A super quick and very cheesy vegan version of this classic comfort dish.
prep time 5 mins total time 10 mins serves 4
- 500g macaroni
- 1/2 cup (60g) cashews
- 1 cup (45g) nutritional yeast
- 1 cup (250ml) plant milk
- 1 1/4 cup (250ml) water
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Black pepper
- Pinch of chilli powder
- Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions.
- Blend all of the other ingredients together to form a cheese sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and return to the pan.
- Stir in the cheese sauce with the pasta over a low heat, continuously stirring until the sauce thickens.
- Serve by itself, or grate over some vegan cheese or enjoy with a side of green vegetables.
- This recipe is best when fresh and warm, as the sauce will thicken over time (because of the cornstarch). If you have leftovers, stir in a splash of water or plant milk before reheating.
- I often enjoy this recipe with a side of crunchy green vegetables like broccoli or asparagus.
- Try baking it! Only cook the cheese sauce for a minute or two in the pan, before it totally thickens up. Add to a baking dish, top with breadcrumbs and vegan cheese, and cook in oven for 10-15 mins until golden and crispy.
- If you are allergic to nuts, simply swap the cashews for 2 tbsp of tahini.