BBQ TOFU QUINOA BOWL
Who says vegans don't get protein? This bowl packs a bunch!
prep time 10 mins total time 30 mins serves 2
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp vegan worcester sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha (or any hot sauce)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- Block (400g)of tofu
- 1-2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 cup quinoa
- 200ml vegetable stock
- Head of broccoli
- 2-3 spring onions
- Juice of a lime
Drain and press the tofu.
Chop the garlic and add the remaining BBQ sauce ingredients to a bowl.
Chop tofu into cubes and add to the bowl with the BBQ sauce. Mix together and marinate in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the bowl.
Make the vegetable stock and add to the pan, along with rinsed quinoa. Bring to a boil with the lid on and cook for 20 mins. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 10 mins.
Meanwhile, take tofu out of the fridge and cook in the pan with a dash of olive oil.
When the tofu and quinoa are nearly done, chop the broccoli and put on to steam.
Add the sesame seeds in with the tofu and quickly stir then remove from heat.
Serve up topped with a squeeze of lime and some chopped spring onions.
- This is such a basic meal to have in rotation. We usually have something of this variation a few times a week, using maybe brown rice instead of quinoa, and a meat replacement instead of tofu. Or we may flavour the tofu differently.
- It would also taste great with some avocado and soy sauce.