BBQ VEGGIE KEBABS
A simple staple for veggies with a BBQ flavoured twist.
prep time 1 hour 15 total time 1 hour 30 serves 6-8
- 2 red onions
- 1 courgette
- 1 yellow pepper
- 200g chestnut mushrooms
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- Juice of a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- If using wooden skewers, soak 10 skewers in water, this will stop them from burning on your BBQ. If using metal skewers, skip this step.
- Cut the red onion into wedges, the mushrooms into quarters, the courgette and pepper into large chunks.
- Add everything into a bowl and cover with the BBQ sauce, a drizzle of olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- If you have time, leave to marinate in the fridge for an hour for added flavour.
- Remove from the fridge and add the veg to your skewers. Leave a small space between the vegetables so that they all cook properly. Make sure to add hard vegetables (e.g. onion, peppers) at the end of the skewer, so that they don't fall off on the BBQ.
- If you're cooking on a BBQ, grill for around 10-15 minutes, turning until golden/chargrilled on either side. If cooking in an oven, grill on medium to high heat for 10-15 minutes, turning in between.
- As mentioned in the method, adding the hard vegetables on the end of the skewers will act as a barrier for the other vegetables so they don't slip off as they get soft when cooking.
- If you love a BBQ, investing in some metal skewers is a great idea to save on disposable skewers. Plus you don't have to soak them beforehand!
- Try adding some tofu to this recipe!
- Bake any leftover vegetables you don't make into skewers in the oven for another meal.