BUDGET APPLE AND RAISIN OATS
Porridge is one of the cheapest, healthiest and easiest breakfast meals you can make. Try this recipe for just 50p a serving.
prep time 2 mins total time 10 mins serves 2
- 2 cups (200g) of oats (£0.16)
- 2 cups (500ml) of plant milk (£0.45)
- 2 cups (470ml) of water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (£0.04)
- 1 apple (£0.32)
- 2 tbsp raisins (£0.10)
- Add the oats, milk, water, cinnamon and sugar to a pan over low to medium heat and stir.
- While the oats heat up, chop up the apple into small pieces.
- Add half of the apple to the oats, saving the other half for the topping.
- Keep stirring the oats until they have thickened (around 8-10 mins), making sure it doesn't boil.
- When ready, serve with the remaining apple and a sprinkling of raisins.
- Drizzle over maple syrup if you aren't on a budget.
- Try out other cheap fruits such as frozen berries or bananas.
- The key to creamy oats is to cook them on a lower heat for longer and to keep stirring. Have patience and it'll be worth it, I promise.