CHEAP AND EASY TOMATO PASTA
A student staple, this hearty tomato pasta comes to only 27p per serving.
prep time 2 mins total time 10 mins serves 4
- 1 brown onion (£0.10)
- 2 cloves of garlic (£0.06)
- 2 400ml tins chopped tomatoes (£0.66)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree (£0.03)
- 500g wholewheat pasta (£0.56)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Mixed herbs
- (Optional) Nutritional yeast/vegan cheese
- Chop the onion and and garlic and add to a large pan with a splash of oil.
- Fry over medium heat until translucent.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato puree, mixed herbs, salt and pepper.
- Put your pasta on to cook according to the packet instructions.
- Cook the tomato sauce until your pasta is ready.
- Drain pasta and stir into the sauce, heating through.
- Serve with nutritional yeast or a sprinkling of vegan cheese.
- Add in your favourite vegetables, or leftover vegetables that you have in your fridge. Peppers, spinach or mushrooms would work really well.
- Turn into a pasta bake by adding breadcrumbs, vegan cheese and nutritional yeast on top and bake in the oven until golden.