CHEAP CHILLI SIN CARNE
Minus the meat, plus the flavour and affordability for only 75p per serving.
prep time 5 mins total time 45 mins - 1 hour serves 4
- 1 onion (£0.10)
- 2 garlic cloves (£0.06)
- Olive oil
- 1 red chilli (£0.10)
- 1 red pepper (0.55)
- 1 tsp each cinnamon, cumin, paprika and chilli
- Kidney beans (£0.33)
- Chickpeas (£0.50)
- 2 400ml tins chopped tomatoes (£0.66)
- 500g rice (£0.75)
- Salt and pepper
- (Optional) Lime, coriander, avocado and nutritional yeast.
- Chop the onion and garlic and add to a large pan over medium heat with a dash of oil.
- Chop and add the red chilli and red pepper along with the spices. Fry for a 5 minutes until the aroma of the spices fills the room. Add a splash of water if needed.
- Drain, rinse and add the beans as well as the chopped tomatoes. Fill one of the tins up half way with water and add to the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper, stir and simmer for 30-40 minutes until reduced.
- Meanwhile, cook your rice and chop your coriander and avocado.
- Serve the chilli with the rice, coriander, avocado, a squeeze of lime and some nutritional yeast.
- Adjust the spices according to your preference, adding more chilli for an extra kick.
- Tastes even better the next day, so double up and make extra for your weekly meal prep.