I am popcorn obsessed. This spicy take on popcorn is a great addition to movie night.
prep time 5 mins total time 10 mins serves 2-4
- 1 knob of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (50g) popcorn kernels
- 1 knob of vegan butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Pinch of chilli powder (or sub the above spices for 1 tbsp curry powder)
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- Heat up the coconut oil in a pan over medium to high heat and add 3 popcorn kernels to the pan and cover with a lid. Wait for these three kernels to pop before adding the rest of the kernels to the pan.
- When they've popped, add the rest of the kernels and shake the pan to coat them totally in oil. Cover but leave the lid slightly ajar to let some steam out.
- Wait for the popcorn to start popping, occasionally shaking the pan.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter, spices, maple syrup, salt and pepper in a separate pan, removing from the heat when completely melted.
- When the popcorn is finished popping, pour over the butter mixture and shake thoroughly together.
- Hopefully this little popcorn trick helps you to avoid burning your popcorn (which I have done many times). Waiting for the first three kernels to pop before adding all of them will make sure that the pan is at the correct temperature before adding the remaining kernels. Shaking the pan occasionally also helps to make sure all the kernels are cooking.
- You can use this method with simple salted or sweet popcorn, just using salt or sugar (or both for sweet and salty) with the butter.