MEDITERRANEAN SWEET POTATO
Sweet, spicy and salty are all mixed in this easy and colourful dish.
prep time 5 mins total time 20 mins serves 2-4
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1/2 courgette
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- Bunch of parsley
- Bunch of basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Couple of gherkins/pickles
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 6-8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (glug it in and see how much it needs)
Wash and pierce your sweet potatoes and put in the microwave for approximately 10 minutes until softened. If you want to, preheat your oven to 200C or 400F to further cook the potatoes when they're done in the microwave. Alternatively, you can bake your sweet potatoes in the oven if you have the time.
Meanwhile, blend salsa verde ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more olive oil if it needs it.
Chop the vegetables and fry in olive oil for a few minutes.
Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add to pan along with the spices. Mix together and continue stir frying as the potatoes cook.
When the potatoes are done, either serve up, or add to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes.
When the potatoes are soft and fluffy, top with the vegetable and chickpea mix, and a healthy drizzle of the salsa verde.
- Try sprinkling nutritional yeast on top because, why the hell not?
- The serving size for this dish is 2-4 as everyone will eat a different amount. For me, this would be two servings, but if you would prefer just one potato, or have a larger one, go for that. I tend to cook however many potatoes I want, add on the amount of topping I like and keep the rest for leftovers.
- The same goes for the salsa verde, add as much as you want and store the rest in a re-used jar in the fridge to top other meals during the week.