MEXICAN INSPIRED RICE
I love this recipe to use up leftover rice and veg in the fridge!
prep time 5 mins total time 15 mins serves 4
- 200-300g brown rice
- Olive oil
- 1 red pepper
- Handful of mushrooms
- Tin of black beans
- Tin of sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Handful of coriander
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions (or follow the method shown in this video), or use some leftover rice (I am always using leftover recipe when I make this recipe).
- Chop up your vegetables and add to a pan over medium heat with a drizzle of oil. Fry until softened.
- Add in the cooked rice, black beans, sweetcorn, tomato puree, spices and nutritional yeast and mix together.
- Add in a splash of water, stir and cook until heated through.
- Serve with more nutritional yeast, lime juice, avocado and coriander.
- I used red peppers and mushrooms as an example in this recipe, but use whatever vegetables you have leftover in the fridge, as well as the beans you have sitting in your cupboard. This tends to be a I-need-to-go-shopping kind of meal in our house!
- Works best with leftover rice.