SPICY BEAN BURGER
Full of flavour and protein, these bean burgers are easy to whip up in a rush.
prep time 5 mins total time 20-40 mins serves 5-6
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tsp each of chilli powder, cumin, paprika & coriander
- Handful fresh coriander
- 1 cup (90g) oats
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal
- Salt and pepper
- 400g tin kidney beans
- 200g tin sweetcorn
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Burger bun
- Vegan mayo
- Roughly chop the onion, garlic and chilli and add into a food processor.
- Also add in the spices, coriander, oats, flaxmeal, salt and pepper.
- Drain and rinse the beans and sweetcorn, adding around 3/4 of both into the food processor. Drizzle over the olive oil and blend.
- Add to a bowl with the remaining beans and sweetcorn and mix together with your hands.
- Shape into 5-6 patties.
- Refrigerate until set (or fry now if in a rush).
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- Once cooked, serve with mashed avocado, salsa, lettuce, and vegan mayo, inside a burger bun.
- You can alternatively bake these burgers in the oven for around 20 minutes at 180C or 350F, turning once in between.
- Double the recipe and freeze half of the batch to cook at a later date.