SPICY BLACK BEAN BURGER
Vegans and non-vegans alike will enjoy this mouth-watering spicy bean burger.
prep time 10 mins total time 30 mins serves 4
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxmeal, 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tin black beans
- 1 cup (125g) breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (195g) cooked brown rice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 - 1 tsp chilli
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- Burger buns
- Vegan cheese
- Make the flax egg and put in the fridge to set.
- Drain and rinse the beans and mash with hands, a potato mash or hand blender in a bowl.
- Blend and add the breadcrumbs along with the remaining ingredients and flax egg from the fridge to the bowl. Mix together thoroughly.
- Mould the burgers into four patties (this does take time as it'll be dry, but keep pressing).
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 10 minutes to allow them to set, making them easier to cook.
- Mix the ingredients of the burger sauce together in a bowl, and prepare your toppings.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan over a high heat. Add the burgers and fry on either side for around 5-10 minutes, or until fully browned.
- When the burgers are nearly done, add a slice of vegan cheese on top of each patty and cover with a lid until the cheese melts.
- (Optional) Toast burger buns in a pan for a minute or two on each side.
- Layer your burger buns up with the burger sauce, the burger, pickles and lettuce. Dig in and enjoy!
- These go perfectly with a side of sweet potato fries or homemade chips.
- Try out some of your favourite toppings. Avocado, salsa or hummus would go amazingly with this burger.