THE ULTIMATE VEGAN CHEESE BURGER
Your non-vegan friends will be fooled by this incredible vegan version of your classic cheeseburger.
prep time 5 mins total time 20-40 mins serves 6
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxmeal + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 400g tin black beans
- 150g soy mince
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (100g) cooked brown rice
- 3-6 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- Burger bun
- Vegan cheese
- Firstly, make the flax egg by mixing the flaxmeal and water, and leave to set in the fridge.
- Roughly chop the onion and garlic and add into a food processor.
- Drain and rinse the black beans, and add into the processor with the remaining ingredients and the flax egg. Blend.
- Shape into 6 patties.
- Refrigerate until set (or fry now if in a rush).
- Meanwhile, make the burger sauce by mixing the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- When the burgers are cooked, add a slice of vegan cheese on top and put a lid over the pan until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with lettuce, tomato, gherkins and burger sauce inside a burger bun.
- You can alternatively bake these burgers in the oven for around 20 minutes at 180C or 350F, turning once in between.
- Double the recipe and freeze half of the batch to cook at a later date.