TOFU 'CHICKEN' NUGGETS
Recreating the classic childhood chicken nugget, without any lil' chickies getting harmed.
prep time 15-20 mins total time 30-40 mins serves 2-4
- Block (400g) of extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup (25g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp water
- Vegetable oil
- Drain and press your tofu thoroughly. Chop into rectangular nugget shapes.
- Blend up your bread to make the breadcrumbs.
- In one bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, mixed herbs, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water.
- Heat up about 1/2 an inch of vegetable oil in a pan over high heat.
- Dip each piece of tofu into the cornstarch mixture first, then the breadcrumb mixture, coating on all sides.
- When all the tofu is coated, individually add to the pan. Cook on each side for around 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- When they're fully cooked, remove the pan from the heat and the tofu from the pan. Use a tea towel you don't mind staining/getting dirty (I avoid using paper towels), and dab any excess oil off the tofu until dry.
- Serve with chips, or by themselves as finger food with a side of ketchup.
- Use two or three separate bowls for the breadcrumb mixture, to ensure it doesn't become too wet when dipping the tofu from the cornstarch mixture into the breadcrumbs. I do find that towards the end, the pieces of tofu have a hard time picking up the breadcrumb mixture as it starts to gets wetter.
- Make sure the oil you're using is vegetable oil, as this works perfectly for deep frying.